Thursday, June 7, 2012

Stonecutter - By Jon J muth, John Kuramoto


Stonecutter
Authors- Jon J Muth and John Kuramoto
Publisher - Feiwel and Friends, An imprint of Macmillan



I picked this book in the kids section at the library. At times, I wonder how these books come in the kids section. Specially when I go looking for picture books for a 3 year old and stumble upon such books, I ponder even more.

Lovely book. I quickly managed a glance at it for just about 10 seconds before deciding to take it in. All that caught my attention in those 10 seconds were -

1. A small book, which I knew I can read it in about 5 minutes
2. A black and white imaged book.
3. A story about a seemingly unpopular guy - A stonecutter

After reading the first few pages of the book, I was just pulled into it -

  1. How many times haven't I questioned myself about how significant is what I am doing?
  2. Doubted myself about how good I am? 
  3. How different am I when all I am doing is some routine old mediocre chores, 
  4. Dreamed about how I wish I was someone else, doing something else?
  5. How I wish I was in some place else?


So, this stonecutter, the only character in the story ponders about his life and is unhappy that he is at such a low status in the society and keeps wishing for more power, money and luxury and to be one-above-all-else.

Strangely every wish of his is granted as he gathers more power to be superior over every one else whom he eyes.

What goes round, comes around is what exactly happens with him. And finally, He finds himself at peace, no longer wanting to be someone else. He becomes someone who is happy who he is, happy with what he has and happy with what he is doing.

Isn't that what everyone yearn out of life?

A simple yet profound read. Something that lingers long after you have read and something that forks out more questions and answers within yourself every time you flip its pages.

On second thoughts, what happens to life next if you are satisfied with who you are and what you have. Does life stagnate and stink? Or does life go into a perfect rhythm that it always was meant to be at??



No comments:

Post a Comment