Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Pen names


If you are doing what the whole wide world is doing, what are you doing? Isn’t it an adventure to walk the less treaded path? Isn’t it fun, joy and excitement to do the same thing,  a little more differently than how everyone is doing?

What happens when you put out all about yourself?

The Good – You get to be famous the instant your book gets published. You get to go for book-signing events, library/ school events - promoting your works, increasing their sales, public speaking and teaching youngsters and amateurs in the field.

The Bad - You are just another Anna/ Bob/ Cathy/ David in the directory. People read about you behind the back of the books and they are done with you.

The Ugly – Obviously, it needs to be ugly. Even a happy birthday message posted on your wall is a step closer to identity thefts. How easy is it to get a call from, say the USCIS or the FTB, with a lot of details about you, asking you to confirm your mother’s maiden name or the last 4 digits of your SSN?

What happens when you don’t?

The Good - If you are lucky, (mind it - the harder you work, the luckier you get) you WILL get noticed for all the reasons that you are hiding away from. An element of anonymity makes people want to know more about you. They will collect tid-bits about you, your style of writing and connect the dots. It’s like the little treasure hunt, only more so, it’s an identity hunt here.     Fame comes late, but, it would definitely be worth the wait if it clicks!

The Bad – How can you promote your works? How do you contribute to its sales if you can’t even sell it among your friends? May be, you will have to hire people to work for you, or you have to go there under a false identity to work for yourself.

The Ugly – The fox that couldn’t reach the grapes named it sour. If you are a hard nut to crack, then forget it. The ocean out there has a lot more fishes for my net.

My whole intention of this blog is to discover and nurture the inner author in me. It is like – there is a little girl within me, (my alter ego) and I want to treat her like my daughter, encourage her and see her grow, watch her taking on the world and spinning it on her fingers.

So, If you want to know the real me... then read all that I write. I can’t stop myself from flowing on what I write. Pick it up and piece them together.  You will discover me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment